Skip to main content

Staring down the 30 barrel...my turning 30 bucket list

And so it begins...


So I've been planning to write a blog for quite a while. Originally it was going to be about my new life in Manchester but my friend joked no one would want to read about the boring things I get up to and I got cold feet. I'm not really new anymore so I guess this is just a blog about my life in Manchester, being hopelessly single, dating and what's going on with me.

I thought I'd open with a list (love a good list!) that I was going to keep private. I'm 30 next year!! And decided recently to make a 30 wish list - 30 things I'd like to have done by 31. I really should have started earlier and got them done before 30 but it's better late than never!

1. Climb a mountain. I don't know why really, I' ve just always fancied climbing a mountain. I don't own any climbing boots and I'm terribly unfit so preferably a small one. Google tells me the smallest one is Moel Siabod, Snowdon, Wales so maybe I'll aim for that.

2. Bounce on trampolines in caves. They're also in Wales, my friend Cat worked there and it looks like so much fun.

3. See real life puffins in the wild. I quite like the look of the Farne Islands in Northumberland.

4. Master boiling an egg. I'm nearly 29, can bake and ice entire wedding cakes and yet I won't eat boiled eggs at home because I get too angry at my lack of egg boiling skills. It's honestly ridiculous.

5. Have a bedroom that feels put together rather than the mess I currently have. I want to have one of those nice rooms where you come in and feel like ahhhh lovely rather than jesus the walls are bare like a prison and there's bloody shoes everywhere.

6. Learn to bake 12 new cakes/bakes - one for each month building up to my 30th year. I used to love baking but it's slid down my priorities. Our kitchen is beautiful for baking in and I'm sure my office won't mind sampling my attempts!

7. Pay off my overdraft. Pretty self-explanatory. I'm a grownass woman and I've paid it off many times yet once again I'm basically holding my breath when I check my online banking.

8. Visit Barcelona (not so good for paying off the overdraft). I was meant to go with an ex years ago but he spent the money he'd saved on a VIP ticket to the Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam. We broke up a few months later and I've still never been to Barcelona.

9. Run a 10k race, maybe in the Great Manchester Run. I currently can't run for a bus so I have no idea if this is possible but I know plenty of other people who got into running when they got old so it must be a thing. I want the satisfaction of completing it and the opportunity to be smug when people ask what I did with my weekend.

10. Sample lobsters and scallops. I don't know why I've never tried them. I like seafood and I'm not a particularly fussy eater, I like trying new things. I'm just not a confident cook for fish & seafood and when I go out I pick stuff I know I'll like.

11. Treat myself to something nice in the Mulberry store. I've dreamt of a Bayswater forever but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen. I love going in and looking at all the beautiful bags and purses so it would be amazing to own something special from there. Probably a purse though!

12. Laugh at comedy at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. I adore comedy and I've always held a secret desire to have a go at stand up comedy, I would love to see my favourite comedians performing live. Plus I hear Edinburgh is absolutely beautiful.

13. Properly slow dance with a boy. Yep, this one is pretty tragic.. I've always had a different kind of slow dance - you're at a wedding, the music switches to something slushy, you're stood alone and a guy your friends with offers to dance with you. You both laugh "HAHA stupid slow dancing". It would be nice to slow dance with someone that I'm not so close with we've seen each other pee multiple times. Or if we have seen each other pee it's because we romantically love each other.

14. Show my skin some love with a facial. Not that kind of facial, get your mind out of the gutter! I mean a nice one in a fancy spa where afterwards my poor dry skin might briefly feel like soft silk. I basically treated my skin awfully until last winter so now I need to make up for lost time.

15. See Beatrix Potter's house. Honestly is that not the cutest house you've ever seen?! Her stories were such a big part of my childhood and my niece and nephew enjoy them now. I'd love to walk through the place that inspired so many of them.

16. Kayak in Salford Quays. Last summer when I moved to Manchester I SWORE I would go kayaking but I was waiting for the summer to come...and then it was winter. A guy I met through Tinder runs indoor kayaking classes so I need to start going to build my confidence ready to take on the great outdoors.

17. Learn to properly do my eyeshadow. I've just got into make up and at the moment my eye make up technique involves dumping different colours in different sections, blending and then slapping on enough liquid eyeliner to cover my errors. Not ideal.

18. Experience the Peak District dusted in snow. I visited Dovestone Reservoir which was absolutely beautiful but I bet the Peak District when it snows is something else.

19. Find the Dinosaur in the Manchester museum. Honestly I've seen photos of the thing and it's bloody huge but both times I've been I've not seen it. This needs to be rectified.

20. Make my own gin at the Three Rivers distillery. The price of their gin tours makes my eyes water but I love gin and I love flavourings so it's perfect for me. Plus I have no idea how gin gets into the (many) bottles I pick up in ALDI.

21. Get on some sort of stage and do stand up. The idea of this genuinely makes me think I'll kack my pants but I love making people laugh and my life feels like one long massive joke at times. It would be amazing to translate that into an actual performance where I don't get booed off stage.

22. Visit 20 Stories and pretend I'm fancy. Since this place first popped up on my insta feed I've both dreamt of visiting and felt worried if I do I'll stick out like a sore thumb. Kids that ate tinned meatballs and turkey twizzlers aren't meant to casually drop into places like this. It's gorgeous though!

23. Take part in a murder mystery party. I LOVE murder mysteries - I often force my long suffering housemate Emily to watch crime/police dramas with me because I love a puzzle. I did a missing person immersive theatre experience recently at a work away day and was in my element. The next level must be a murder, surely?

24. Eat a curry on Curry Mile. I've heard it's overrated and the curries aren't what they used to be but I don't care. Curry is one of my favourite foods because I used to eat it with my Dad when I was little. If he was still around he'd have made me go to Curry Mile the day I moved up here! And then told me none of the curries were as good as the ones our family friend Habib makes.

25. Visit Liverpool and see the sights. I've never been even though it's 40 minutes away by train and the place sounds like it's teeming with culture. I'd like to visit the Slavery museum, the Liverpool museum and the Bombed Out Church.

26. Go on a music tour of Manchester. I'm an obsessive person by nature and Manchester's music history really captures me. I've been to see the Hacienda archives at the MoSI, seen Greg Wilson talk about his DJ career and I'm going to see Manchester Keeps On Dancing with a Q&A with Dave Haslam in May. For good measure I'm seeing Dave Haslam again a week later talking about his new book. I'd love to see the places that inspired some of the music and institutions I love.

27. Scoff a cake in Slatterys. I've heard this place makes the best cakes in the city and I need to try them. I'll need to try the chocolate too while I'm there just to check that's good too.

28. Try out yoga on a roof top. It may be hard to find a day sunny enough in Manchester but I imagine it being the most zen experience possible and I definitely need a bit more zen in my life.

29. Give blood 10 times. I've already given blood 4 times but I'd like to hit 10 donations. It takes an hour out of my day, it costs me nothing and the snacks are absolutely top drawer. In my work in hospitals I've heard countless stories of blood saving people's lives so it seems a no brainer to give it if you can.

30. Learn to love myself more. I don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about things that don't matter or held back by own self-esteem. I want to make the time to work on my wellbeing and build my happiness for the future.

Oh wait there's one more...
31. Get a boyfriend. HAHA, who am I actually kidding?! I've definitely spelt cat wrong there - too many letters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern hens try northern life

As I promised here is the hen do post finally! I've spent at least an hour this evening just trying to sort out my phone so my icloud starts working. I had SO many photos (mainly blurry or from whatsapp) that they had stopped loading when I selected them and it became impossible to get them from my phone into my laptop. Honestly it's been tough deleting them - I had at least 20 videos of the Vengaboys to sort through and it's been a real challenge deciding which to keep. So after that insight into my life onto the hen do...My best friend, Jen, got married to her lobster, Dan, last weekend at a beautiful venue in the New Forest. Before every good wedding comes the hen though and as it was in Manchester I was drafted in to help the bridesmaids plan it. Jen and I have been friends for about 8 years now - I met her through my old housemate and good friend, Lauren, and to begin with I thought she didn't like me. That's just Jen though; she's Scottish and honest

My friends are better than your friends

How do you get over a festival? Spend time with your favourite people of course! Boy, was it a good recovery week. Unfortunately I had to have ENT surgery before I could start having fun. I waited three years for it and I'm pretty sure it hasn't worked. My hearing is worse than ever - I can't hold the phone to one of my ears anymore because I can't hear it and I've nearly been run over about ten times now because I can't hear the traffic. But that's ok because I have wonderful people to cheer me up! I was blessed enough to be invited to my friend Charlotte's wedding on the Thursday. Charlotte is amazing - I met her through Twitter and she's one of the best people I know in Manchester. She moved up from London just before I did and she's smart, funny and sassy. She's the reason I ever write on this blog (she's encouraging as fuck) and she has an amazing blog herself. She got married to David, he is equally awesome. They are the kind

Lost Village part II

So like I mentioned before we returned to Lost Village at the end of August for our second time. Last year Lost Village was a 4 day escape from reality and I fell totally in love with it. We started our payment plan as soon as we got home and the countdown begun! And boy did it not disappoint. The music was amazing again. My favs were Black Madonna, Ben UFO, Peggy Gou and Horse Meat Disco. Everything Everything were pretty amazing on the last night too! I had plans to do ALL the activities available but the reality was I saw two talks ( Oobah Butler speaking about his fake restaurant made my weekend ) and a  lot of comedy plus a small amount of yoga. As my hangovers get worse it's harder to be enthusiastic for daytime thinking! We also went in a  Bathing Under The Sky  hot tub on the Saturday which was well needed. My friend raced down when we got there and secured the best hot tub - right by the lake overlooking the lilies and the dragonflies. I nearly passed out