Skip to main content

Time isn't wasted when you're getting wasted

This Thursday I'm off to Lost Village festival near Lincoln. I consider myself a bit of a festival veteran and this is my absolute favourite. I went for the first time last year and felt just like Alice when she goes down the rabbit hole. Everything about the way they dress the festival is magical, the people are so lovely and there's so many fun things to both night and day. The food is amazing too!
Here I am rocking a flower crown I made there, as you can see from my fringe this is probably day 3 or 4! Now I've finished my big festival shop I thought I'd share my top ten festival tips.

1. Be honest with yourself about who you are and how you are - just because your mates are all going to a certain festival doesn't mean you should go with them if you hate the music. Maybe you're more suited to paying the extra for boutique if you're a diva. I hate mornings, I can be grumpy and I need down time. Lost Village suits me because there's more chilled activities in the day so I feel ready for the evening. After yoga, hot tubs and a talk I'll be much more ready to get on it every night!

2. Comfy is the new cool when it comes to clothes. I love sequins and glitter and outrageous flower crowns but I make sure I've got wellies and clothes for every temperature. I was at Parklife this summer when the rain came down and so many girls were shivering in tiny playsuits. Playsuits are cute as fuck but bring a pac a mac because this is Britain.

3. Sort out everything you want to pack...then take a third of it away. I'm still working on this! You just need a few options. Everything you pack just in case (excluding plasters and bin liners) is unnecessary. You might think I'm crazy now but when you're trying to haul it back on your back on the worst hangover of your life you'll be grateful. Believe me - I have cried on the way back multiple times due to heavy bags.

4. Do your research. Check the festival app (the Lost Village one is SO good) or clashfinder if they don't have one. Buy a lanyard for your squad when you get in and keep an eye on their social media channel for last minute changes. You'll be heartbroken if you miss one of your favs because you didn't know their set time or you got lost. Also read the FAQs in advance - having to throw your fav perfume to get in is pure sadness.

5. Invest in your tent. You might only use it twice a year but if it rains inside your entire weekend will be derailed by soggy everything. I borrowed an amazing tent from my work colleague last year so this year I bought the exact same one for Emily and I. It's a three man (two man are always tiny, don't bother if you're more than one) tent and it was in the Millets sale - down from £140 to £60 and I got a 10% NHS discount off as well.

6. It's all about dem snacks. Pack nice ones that you'll want to eat and you may actaully manage to line your stomach before you start drinking. I used to pack healthy stuff that I don't normally eat and then bring it all back at the end of the festival. This year I've got marshmallows, chocolate fingers and sensations sweet chilli crisps because they're my favourite hangover snacks. Plus chocolate milk and creme caramel liquer for a breakfast cocktail! There will always be at least a few good food options in there as well so don't think you need 4 days worth of food.

7. Take some cash with you and then if you can be trusted not to lose it get any further money out in a big amount. Queueing for the cash machines every day is long and they charge you. Also having cash helps you budget so you don't get a nasty contactless surprise on your return!

8. If you choose to do drugs be careful and don't be pressured into doing anything you don't want to with alcohol or drugs. It may feel like everyone is doing them but that's not the case. Everyone enjoys different things and there's no one size fits all for fun. I volunteer for The Loop, an amazing drug harm reduction charity, and they've got some great advice about staying safe when taking party drugs.

9. We all start festivals with the best of intentions but sometimes you come unstuck. If you've drunk too much, feel a bit iffy after taking drugs or you're just feeling generally poorly or unwell in yourself go to Welfare. There's no shame in it and you won't be judged by the volunteers - they're all lovely people. You might even see me volunteering in there! Please don't let that put you off.

10. Be the kind of person you'd be at home. Festivals aren't carte blanche to act like a dickhead. Be respectful to other people and relax because everyone is there to have a good time. There's no need for rowing or pushing in the crowds, smile at the people next to you. If you see someone who's not having a good time just check they're ok, it takes you two seconds but could make a big difference.

Most of all remember this: you're someone's world don't break their heart. Have an amazing time, dance til you've got blisters and your hair is 95% glitter but stay safe. The people you matter to the most want you back in one piece with amazing memories to share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern hens try northern life

As I promised here is the hen do post finally! I've spent at least an hour this evening just trying to sort out my phone so my icloud starts working. I had SO many photos (mainly blurry or from whatsapp) that they had stopped loading when I selected them and it became impossible to get them from my phone into my laptop. Honestly it's been tough deleting them - I had at least 20 videos of the Vengaboys to sort through and it's been a real challenge deciding which to keep. So after that insight into my life onto the hen do...My best friend, Jen, got married to her lobster, Dan, last weekend at a beautiful venue in the New Forest. Before every good wedding comes the hen though and as it was in Manchester I was drafted in to help the bridesmaids plan it. Jen and I have been friends for about 8 years now - I met her through my old housemate and good friend, Lauren, and to begin with I thought she didn't like me. That's just Jen though; she's Scottish and honest

My friends are better than your friends

How do you get over a festival? Spend time with your favourite people of course! Boy, was it a good recovery week. Unfortunately I had to have ENT surgery before I could start having fun. I waited three years for it and I'm pretty sure it hasn't worked. My hearing is worse than ever - I can't hold the phone to one of my ears anymore because I can't hear it and I've nearly been run over about ten times now because I can't hear the traffic. But that's ok because I have wonderful people to cheer me up! I was blessed enough to be invited to my friend Charlotte's wedding on the Thursday. Charlotte is amazing - I met her through Twitter and she's one of the best people I know in Manchester. She moved up from London just before I did and she's smart, funny and sassy. She's the reason I ever write on this blog (she's encouraging as fuck) and she has an amazing blog herself. She got married to David, he is equally awesome. They are the kind

Lost Village part II

So like I mentioned before we returned to Lost Village at the end of August for our second time. Last year Lost Village was a 4 day escape from reality and I fell totally in love with it. We started our payment plan as soon as we got home and the countdown begun! And boy did it not disappoint. The music was amazing again. My favs were Black Madonna, Ben UFO, Peggy Gou and Horse Meat Disco. Everything Everything were pretty amazing on the last night too! I had plans to do ALL the activities available but the reality was I saw two talks ( Oobah Butler speaking about his fake restaurant made my weekend ) and a  lot of comedy plus a small amount of yoga. As my hangovers get worse it's harder to be enthusiastic for daytime thinking! We also went in a  Bathing Under The Sky  hot tub on the Saturday which was well needed. My friend raced down when we got there and secured the best hot tub - right by the lake overlooking the lilies and the dragonflies. I nearly passed out